Now winter is really making its mark we are starting to experience colds and viruses. This week we wanted to give you some help to get through the winter season and keep your immune system in good shape.
Our immune system is our bodies defence mechanism. It protects us from harmful bacteria, viruses, parasites and other harmful substances.
Generally, we are unaware of the workings of our immune system. We become aware of it when it is not working and we start to feel ill.
Any symptom of illness lets us know our immunity is compromised. In an ideal world, we don't want to get ill so we have put together some ideas to help you stay healthy. These are products that can be used both as a preventative measure and if you feel unwell.
Top Tips to support your immune system
This is a wonder herb and extremely effective at dealing with colds and those lingering infections. Echinacea helps the body to tackle invading harmful bacteria.
If you are particularly susceptible to winter colds it is a great product to use preventatively.
Echinacea comes in both tablet and liquid and is suitable for the whole family.
2. Beta Glucans is one of my ‘go to’ products if I get ill. It is particularly effective for allergies, colds and flu. Typically, with a cold I take 3 a day for a couple of days. If flu strikes I will take 6 a day for a couple of days.
It really is a powerful supplement and has helped me through many colds over the years. Again, it is an excellent choice as a preventative during the winter. Take one a day.
3. Gut health is synergistically connected to immunity. A course of probiotics can be extremely helpful to redress your gut balance. This is especially important if you have had antibiotics or other medications. Restoring your gut balance can make a world of difference and offer valuable support to your immune system.
4. It goes without saying but we will say it anyway... A good diet full of lots of organic fruit and vegetables will always help you to stay healthy.
Processed and refined foods have lots of sugar and other unnecessary ingredients. The result of this is that your body has to work harder to eliminate these substances leaving less resource to keep your well.
When you eat processed and refined foods you limit your nutrient intake and we need good quality organic nutrients to give our bodies the best support.
5. If you have not been eating well you will be short of essential nutrients. Use an antioxidant formula and multivitamin and mineral supplement to ensure you get all the nutrients you need.
6. Ginger is such a warming herb. It supports the lungs and sinus. It also helps our lymph system get rid of harmful substances and toxins. Ginger is another ‘go to’ for me for sore throats and colds. Use it in drinks, meals or take it as a supplement. We even have ginger sweets too!
7. Sleep is essential to good health. Our body needs good quality rest so it can restore itself. When we lead busy lives and ask so much of our bodies it is important to balance that with good rest.
8. Turmeric is a must have food for anyone suffering from inflamed joints. I know patients who have become so much more active as a result of using turmeric. It is a tasty ingredient in your food too!
9. Garlic is another amazing food. Not only does it enhance our food but it battles infection and bacteria with gusto. If you don’t enjoy garlic we can offer you supplements.
10. Another warrior against bacteria is Colloidal Silver. This liquid restricts bacterial growth. It can be used internally or applied to skin wounds. Just use one drop internally. Always ensure you buy a quality product and don’t use it for more than 14 days at a time.
11. Reducing stress in your life is a key component to maintaining a healthy immune system. Your body goes into fight or flight mode when you are stressed. If you stay here then ultimately your body resources get depleted and are not replaced as easily.
12. Stress is a natural part of our lives and we need some. Just ensure that you keep a healthy balance and enjoy some relaxation and fun things each week.
Stress can be from our mind and emotions but also from food or drink. At this time of year when we may be eating more rich food and drinking more your liver needs some tender loving care. Drink plenty of water and use milk thistle to support your liver.
13. Vitamin D3 is so much more than a vitamin. It is a co-hormone so it is integral to the working of the endocrine system. Make sure you are taking enough vitamin D3 during the winter months.
14. Vitamin C and Zinc are winter favourites and help many of us get through the cold season more easily. These nutrients offer us both antioxidant and immune boosting properties.
15. Pumpkin seeds are a great on the go snack. These seeds are a great source of magnesium. Magnesium helps you deal with stress by relaxing your nervous system which in turn helps you sleep better.
We hope this helps you have a healthy winter and appreciate your comments. We love to hear your ideas and experiences – what is your ‘go to’ tip to stay healthy in the winter?