Looking forward to Christmas? A lovely time of year, but difficult not to overindulge when all the chocolates, biscuits and cakes are on offer. Over consumption may cause digestive complaints or weight gain. It is a time of year when we may have excess alcohol and less exercise.
Healthy Ideas to include in your Christmas Menu’s
- Eat soluble fibre such as leeks, onions, garlic these are prebiotic foods to encourage the presence of beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Eat plain yoghurt or kefir these contain beneficial bacteria.
- Eat stewed apples and cinnamon to add soluble fibre and improve gut immunity, these can be added to your porridge on a morning.
- A slice of lemon in hot water before a meal has often been used to help the digestion
- Pineapple, papaya and sprouted seeds have enzymes to help digestion.
- Try to have some healthy nibbles instead of or alongside crisps, such as carrot, cucumber celery sticks with guacamole, hummus.
- Have a drink of water between any alcoholic drinks
Include some Herbal Tea
Pukka offer an excellent range of teas which are all available at Shipley Health Store
Including: Relax, Three Fennel, Three mint, Detox, Cleanse, Three ginger
Tips when eating
- Chew food thoroughly
- Eat slowly and taste your food
- At buffets fill your plate and sit down to eat, rather than standing next to the buffet table and nibbling, this way you will eat less.
- Try nuts with shells on for snacks as these take longer to eat as you need to remove the shells first.
- For healthy nibbles roast your nuts with some herbs recipe below
Spicy oven nuts
2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 teaspoons chilli powder,1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 8oz mixed nuts
Roast in the oven at gas 2 for 30 minutes, then drain on a kitchen towel
Supplements which may help during the Christmas period
It’s important to make sure your gut bacteria are balanced especially if you are eating more or if you need antibiotics over the Christmas period. Bio Nutri have a probiotic called Ecodophilus this supplement consists of natural fermented organisms to assist excretion of toxins and excess hormones and replenish beneficial bacteria.
Another supplement from Bio Nutri which is beneficial to health is their Garlic complex with Rosemary and Thyme these have been used in the Mediterranean diet for many years for their health benefits. These herbs are often used to support a healthy digestive tract which at Christmas needs extra help. When taking blood thinning medication consult your practitioner before taking the Garlic complex.
These supplements are available at Shipley Health Food store
Always consult your practitioner if you are taking any medications before taking any supplements
Try to go for a walk every day if possible in the fresh air.