It is the lead up to Christmas and we felt like an early treat last weekend! Instead of using regular caster sugar, we swapped this for organic coconut palm sugar and the result was luxurious. Big, deep, caramelised flavour and twinned with a scoop of quality ice cream meant a very tasty treat indeed. Try and find very, very ripe bananas for the best results. As always, all ingredients are organic as far as they can be and available from Shipley Health Store.
- Start by greasing the loaf tin, line with baking paper, then grease baking paper too.
- Preheat your fan oven to 150 degrees Celsius (170 degrees for those with no fan).
- Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl with the back of a fork and set aside.
- Melt the butter, coconut palm sugar and vanilla extract in a heavy bottom saucepan (the coconut palm sugar takes a little longer than regular caster sugar). Once melted, add this to the bananas and mix together.
- Mix in the egg, then stir in the flour and milk. Add the walnuts and stir to distribute.
- At this point you’re ready to pour into the tin, sprinkle over a little extra coconut palm sugar for a nice crust then bake for 40 minutes or until cooked (check with the clean skewer method).