A great summer dish on a cold night last weekend! If you want to make this vegan, why not substitute the lamb for some tofu. Adapted from Mediterranean Food and Cooking.
- Combine half the olive oil with the sugar, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper with the lamb. Toss to coat and set aside for half an hour.
- Once marinated, heat the remaining oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan and fry the lamb (in batches if necessary) until browned. Set aside.
- Add onions to the pan on a low heat and stir until browned. Stir in garlic and somatoes with 150ml water, stirring and scraping the base of the pan. Put the lamb back in the pan then cover with just enough water to cover, bring to the boil. Reduce to a low heat then cover the pan and simmer on a low heat for 1 hour. Check the meat is tender by piercing with a sharp knife.
- Add the chickpeas, raisins, olives, lemon rind and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- At this point, prepare some couscous according to the instructions on the packed (usually about five minutes with boiling water, some lemon juice and spice mix such as ras el hanout, salt and pepper).
- Serve all together when the stew has finished simmering.